Jamie’s Discourse

Libvirt Networking Handbook

Discuss my libvirt Networking Handbook. Feel free to create a separate topic for more focused discussions!

1 Like

Another method to add networking to a running virtual instance is:

virsh attach-interface --domain $VM --type bridge --source br0 --model virtio --config

First of all thanks for this good Handbook, but I guess below statement in bridged Networking is not correct for all cases, we can use wireless for bridging with 4addr mode as long as card supports this and I am using it without any issues.

The libvirt server must be connected to the LAN via Ethernet. If it is connected wirelessly, a Routed network or NAT-based network are the only options

Thanks for this write up. Is there any way to change the default way virt-install configures the network. I would like to change it so that the default is to use the bridge instead of the network when creating a VM without having to pass the --network bridge=br0 arguement. Thanks!

Hello, thanks for adding this. I am curious about OpenVswtich under a distributed network scenario. For example, I’ve worked out to take a local Libvirt/KVM/QEMU host and attach libvirt guests to an openvswitch instance. I’m now wondering what that looks like in a scenario where OVS has a clustered db with a controller. Any insights there?

[root@localhost dispatcher.d]# systemctl start dummy@virbr10.service

gives error:

Job for dummy@virbr10.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status dummy@virbr10.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.
any solution?